With the rise in popularity of things like glass pool fencing and glass balustrades, it’s becoming more and more important to think carefully about the types of glass that we’re using to build things. There are safety standards surrounding the use of glass as a building material in Australia, but these aren’t always followed.
However, in the interest of safety, you should always do your best to make sure that you’re following the relevant rules when it comes to pool fencing, otherwise you will be putting you and your family at risk.
One of the most important rules in the Australian Standard states that only safety glass can be used for building purposes – including for a glass pool fence and balustrade. With this in mind, let’s have a quick look at what safety glass is and why it’s so important to use it:
What is safety glass?
Safety glass is any form of glass that has been made stronger in some way so that it can endure tougher environmental conditions. The laws about exactly what sort of safety glass you can use to build a pool fence vary between states, so it’s important to read the relevant laws and regulations.
The most common type of safety glass for use in pool fences is toughened (tempered) glass. This glass is extremely strong, and can withstand any forces and impacts it could receive during normal residential life.
What are the benefits of using safety glass?
As noted above, you are required by law to use safety glass when you’re building a new pool fence. However, if you need more convincing, here are a few reasons why you should always use it:
- Safety glass is strong and durable, meaning that it won’t break under normal environmental and residential conditions.
- Safety glass is resistant to changes in temperature, making it perfect for use in outdoor areas.
- Safety glass is easy to fix into position, which makes it the perfect material for pool fences and balustrades.
As you can see, there are plenty of benefits associated with the use of safety glass, which is why you have to use it under Australian law.
Why should I always make sure I’m using safety glass for my pool fence?
If, for some reason, you’re still not convinced that you need to use safety glass to build your pool fence, then consider the following:
- Safety glass is strong, which means that your children and pets won’t be able to break through it. If they could, they would be risking injury to themselves and to others around it.
- Again, if your pets or children could break through your glass pool fence, they would be at risk of drowning. Safety glass prevents this.
- Safety glass is smooth and slippery, which means that it can’t be easily climber – further securing your pool area.
As you can see, it’s absolutely essential to make sure that you use safety glass when you’re building your new glass pool fence. Check your local safety regulations to find out exactly what sort of glass you’re allowed to use, and make sure that you’re following them so that you’re not penalised by your local authorities.